Law Offices of Barry I. Finkel, P.A.
Call Our Firm
Ft. Lauderdale 954-776-1414
Boca Raton 561-910-1870

Can I change an alimony order after divorce?

Divorce can seem like a long road – longer than just the actual process and paperwork. It’s a buildup of, in many cases, years of emotions and a lot of back and forth when it comes to actually making the final decision. After that, Florida residents invest time in the actual process of deciding issues such as alimony, child support and custody and property division. When it is all said and done, some are able to breathe a sigh of relief. Some come out of it satisfied, that is, until their circumstances change.

So what happens if all of a sudden you are not able to pay the required alimony amount or if you want more time with your kids? Was the initial judgment the final judgment? In some cases, the answer is no.

Although division of assets and debts cannot be modified, decisions regarding alimony, child support and child custody can be modified under certain circumstances. Those circumstances must have seen a substantial change and must be:

- Permanent

- Involuntary

- Material

- Unanticipated when the last order was made

Because these requirements can sometimes be difficult to meet, it is important to work with an experienced divorce attorney who can help a client work toward a possible change in judgment. Some clients may feel like it is a lost cause, but it is in their best interest to seek modification, especially if they are not able to meet their payment obligations. If you want to learn more about modifications, please visit our website.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response