Law Offices of Barry I. Finkel, P.A.
Call Our Firm
Ft. Lauderdale 954-776-1414
Boca Raton 561-910-1870

What if your ex-spouse wants to travel abroad with your child?

The topic of child custody can be one of the most contentious. Even when parents are relatively amicable, there will likely be some disagreements. This can become even more frustrating when two parents are at odds with each other.

The typical child custody scenario in Florida, if there is one, concentrates on legal and physical custody. But things can get a lot more complicated when one of the parents is originally from another country. That parent may want to be able to take their child overseas to visit family, which can obviously be extremely nerve-wracking for the other parent. Thankfully, there are some steps that parents can take in order to have some peace of mind if they decide to let their ex travel abroad with their child.

First, it’s important to contact the State Department. They have something called a Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program. When a child is part of this program and someone applies for a passport for the child, the State Department will try to contact both parents to make sure that there is consent from both sides.

Also, it’s important to set up a communication plan. This way you will have a set arrangement of when and how you will talk to your child while they are away, whether it be via phone calls or Skype. Keeping in regular contact can help ease worry.

Finally, it is important to work with a lawyer through this process. One thing a lawyer can help set up is a Ne Exeat bond. This bond hopes to guarantee that the parent will follow the settlement terms. The bond is in the amount that it would cost the non-traveling parent to pay for legal fees if the agreement is not upheld. The process may sound complicated, but it may definitely be worth your time.

Source:  Forbes, “Divorced Women: Take Precautions Before Your Children Travel Internationally With Your Ex-Husband,” Jeff Landers, May 6, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response